If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, June 5, 2009

It's all Greek to me

My old friend Bozenna just emailed to say that she's off on another holiday to Zakynthos Island. Enjoy your retirement, Bozenna!

Just north of Zakynthos is the island of Kefalonia which is the setting for the movie "Captain Corelli's Mandolin", and still farther north again is the island of Corfu, an old favourite of mine. If you want to get a taste of those enchanting Ionian islands (which include Homer's Ithaca), you want to watch "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" - or, even better, read the book.

Bozenna and Ted having a drink at my old home, the SAVOY HOTEL, in 1983I first met Bozenna and her husband Ted - seen here at my old "home", the Savoy Hotel - in the early 'eighties when I lived and worked in Greece. Bozenna had answered an ad in the English language newspaper, the "ATHENS NEWS", in which I was looking for a "shipping person" who could do my many complex Laytime Calculations (for all you landlubbers, laytime is the period of time agreed between the parties - ship owners, charterers, cargo shippers and consignees - during which a chartered ship is available for loading / discharging without payment of additional freight.)

Ted in full flight in 1983! Here's to you, Ted!Bozenna did a wonderful job which saved my employer large sums of money and, on a personal side, she and Ted introduced me, a newcomer to Greece (I had just spent a miserable and very "dry" eighteen months in the world's largest sand-box, Saudi Arabia), to the many delights of Greek wining and dining. My many fond memories of Greece are entirely due to their wonderful friendship which has endured to this day!

Sadly, Ted passed away in October 2003, aged 80, after a very full and active life during which he made every day count. We won't forget you, Ted!