If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Another flashback


The only German-speaking ANZ bank teller in 1969: moi

 

Having fallen for this enticing immigration ad, I arrived in Australia in August 1965. After a couple of odd jobs, including driving a delivery truck for a plumbing and hardware supplier, I was fortunate enough to join the ANZ Bank in Canberra three months later.

Although they let me handle all that lovely money, I soon realised that they would never allow me to take it home and so I quit to seek out greener pastures in New Guinea.

 


ANZ Bank, Alinga Street, Canberra

However, I wouldn't be where I am today had I not joined the ANZ Bank and, paradoxically, had I not left again (for the second time) after a total of less than three years of service. Joining it assured my re-entry into the commercial world; leaving it allowed me to qualify as an accountant.

Despite my short service, I was admitted to the ANZ Banking Group Retired Officers' Club whose blog I have since started. I also attended one of their annual Christmas lunches where I met up with some of my old bosses from well over forty years ago.

Christmas Lunch 2010 of ANZ Banking Group Retired Officers' Club

Memories are made of this!