If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Wonderful memories of a wonderful time

 

Yes, this, too, is Australia and I am fortunate enough to have lived and worked there in 1977, well before Ted Egan made this documentary.

One of my favourite writers is Somerset Maugham. At the end of his long life, he wrote a book called "The Summing Up", which sets out all his life lessons. It's nowhere near as good as his many short stories, some of which were adapted to the screen, but it does contain the wonderful conclusion that 'there is only one thing about which I am certain, and that is there is very little about which one can be certain'.

I agree with him as I'm certain about only one thing: that I wouldn't want to have missed the close to fifty places in more than a dozen countries that I've lived and worked in (not to mention the many others I flew over real low ☺).

They make for wonderful memories, some of which I've since tried to recapture. Such as my return to Thursday Island in 2005. You can read about it in this travelogue.

And if that's not enough, here are some old photographs: click here.