If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, August 23, 2015

You don't choose a life; you live one

 

After "A Walk in the Woods" and "Wild", I'm now into my third walk, this time along the Camino in northern Spain.

My friend Rob Krenn walked the Camino after he had visited us at "Riverbend" in 2003 and after he had cycled the length and breadth of New Zealand and after he had cycled the length only of South America. Walking the Camino after all that must've felt like a walk in the park.

During my ill-spent early teens, I hitchhiked all over Europe, at times with another "Fahrenden Gesellen" but most times on my own, even crossing into Africa when I visited the Spanish city of Ceuta just across the Strait of Gibraltar.

As a 14-year-old. 5 months later I started work; 5 years later I went to Australia

After having watched "The Way" and this documentary, I regret not also having walked the Camino. But, of course, I didn't know about it then. Which is hardly a consolation as it only adds another regret, "If only I had known then the things I know now!"

As Soren Kierkegaard said, "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards". However, he also said, "Do it or do not do it - you will regret both" which kind of evens things out. ☺