If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Otters got on top of Lady Chatterley's Lover

Watch the trailer of the movie 'Ring of Bright Water' here

 

I've forgotten when and where I discovered Ring of Bright Water but I'm so glad I did. It is one of the most wonderful wildlife books ever written, a classic account of man and wildlife, which even outsold "Lady Chatterley's Lover" and was made into a movie with Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna of 'Born Free' fame.

 

 

Gavin Maxwell wrote several other books - Harpoon at a Venture; God Protect Me from My Friends; A Reed Shaken By The Wind - a Journey Through the Unexplored Marshlands of Iraq; The Ten Pains of Death; The Rocks Remain; The House of Elrig; Lords of the Atlas: Morocco, the rise and fall of the House of Glaoua; Seals of the World; and Raven Seek Thy Brother - all in his incomparable style, but none was as successful and made him as rich - and us richer for having read it - as Ring of Bright Water.

 

 

It's the kind of book you can read again and again, and I will read it again as soon as I have finished watching the equally beautiful movie.