If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Look what the scanner dragged in!

 

Remember those pre-glued photo albums of yesteryears? You pulled back that transparent coversheet, placed your photos on the sticky stuff, and rolled the cover-sheet back over it again. Almost fifty years later, the photos are still in almost-mint condition but there's no way of prising them off that glue again.

Having just bought one of those new print-and-scan CANON gadgets, I scanned a few of those glued-down photos to share with you. They all date back to my time with the Bougainville Copper Project in 1970/71.

 

This is where I lived: Camp 6 at Loloho

My audit office at Loloho

Ditto

With Bob Green (left) on one of the islands offshore from Loloho

Doing what I did best: cutting contractors' progress claims down to size

Ditto

And when I wasn't cutting contractors' progress claims down to size for ten hours a day six days a week, I freelanced as tax agent and was also a Justice of the Peace.

A copy of my tax agent's certificate reissued long after my departure from New Guinea

I must've done hundreds of tax returns at $25 a piece which was serious money at a time when, in the currency of the day, a whole carton of beer cost a mere $7.50. My remit extended as far as the Commissioner of Taxation in Canberra and the Commissioner of Inland Revenue in Wellington with whom I had lengthy correspondence to exempt my "clients" from paying tax at home on their "world income" if their stay in New Guinea fell short of the required 183-day rule in Australia or the twelve months' required absence from New Zealand.

On one of the offshore islands. From left to right John Gaskill, next one unknown, yours truly having a laughing fit behind Jacko's back, Neil "Jacko" Jackson, and an Indian guy who's name I forgot

Beach party at Loloho

More of the beach party

... and more ...

... more: from left to right: yours truly, Neil "Jacko" Jackson, Frank Joslin, rest unknown

On the left Frank Joslin; "Jacko" Jackson with his back to the camera

And in mid-1972 I came back for more as Office Manager for Camp Catering Services - see here and here:

All good memories!